Sunday, August 23, 2020

Fear

         "Terror or fear is a state of the mind usually induced by some external circumstances." (Bridges, p. 62)  When you watch the news our media is busy pedaling fear.  Weather it is the virus, the election, or now converging storms, fear is all around us.  We are at this point saturated in an environment of fear.

        Perhaps that is why we need to understand the sovereignty of God so desperately.  Psalm 27:1 says, The LORD is my light and my salvation- whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life- of whom shall I be afraid?

        So when fear comes peddling its misery at our doors we need to remember the words of the Apostle Paul in Romans 8:31: "What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?"

        Is it easy? I'm going to say a most definite no! But when fear consumes us let us recall scripture promises that we have hidden in our hearts!  Go back and read Psalm 27 (the whole thing).  Because at the end of the Psalm comes the best part, "Wait on the Lord: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the Lord."

        So if the fear of this age has taken hold dwell on that, "he will strengthen your heart."

See the source image

No comments: