Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Everyday Living



These days everyone I know is looking for ways to save money. Yes, we are all thankful to have a job, but  5 months of furlough days are starting to take their toll. We've been told to expect 12 next school year. Makes for hard times to say the least! At my house the only place to cut seems to be in the grocery department, so for days now I've thought of this challenge ove at ALL YOU.

All You is putting forth a challenge to help people come up with creative ways to cut their grocery bills. The challenge involves spending $25 or less per person per week on groceries. I'm intrigued, yet tremble with fear at the mere thought of it!!! Is it possible to feed our family 3 meals per day (summer) on $75 per week. Do I get extra when Matt comes home from college? All very interesting and it does have me thinking!

Now  on $75 per week I don't think we will be drinking Diet Dr. Pepper, or having chips and dip. (Staples at our house). So what do y'all think...is it even possible to eat 3 meals per day at home (no going out) and stay on this budget?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do think it can be done! Over at http://orgjunkie.com/, there are a bunch of people who participate in "Meny Plan Monday" and they share meal ideas and recipes, usually for frugal people trying to feed a family. I have learned a lot from it! Just planning the meals in advance helps save money in the long run. But you will probably have to cut out the Dr. Pepper. :)

Lennye said...

Thanks for the blog link. I recently found out I'm gluten intolerant and so I'm trying hard to get a handle on our families eating habits. (However, Diet Dr. Pepper...:))

Stacey said...

I think it's possible to eat healthy and not spend a lot of money. Lots of chicken, whole wheat pasta, and less expensive fish (e.g., tilapia a lot less expensive in these parts than halibut). Try growing your own herb garden, about a $30 investment, outside of your own home. You'll have lots of ways to spice up your food at an affordable price.

Oh, also on a gluten-free note, try buying GLUTEN-FREE COOKING FOR DUMMIES. Hate the title, love the book. My husband has started eating gluten-free dinners and doesn't complain.

Good luck!