Saturday, May 8, 2010

Happy Mother's Day



A mother is the truest friend we have, when trials heavy and sudden, fall upon us; when adversity takes the place of prosperity; when friends who rejoice with us in our sunshine desert us; when trouble thickens around us, still will she cling to us, and endeavor by her kind precepts and counsels to dissipate the clouds of darkness, and cause peace to return to our hearts. ~Washington Irving




Or so it is for most of us. I on the other hand had an extremely young mother. She was 15 when I was born. I remember she worked. We went to the Shriner's Rodeo every year in Ardmore. We went to a huge company picnic every year. Church every Sunday. To my Aunt Lennye's in the big city.

Then I remember at 13 the divorce and at 14 finding out she had cancer. The picture on the left is right before they found the cancer. Things changed. She fought to live and I became her caretaker. I had a part time job and went to school. My grandmother lived next door and was always available. My mom worked on good days, and didn't when times were bad. Yet, she never missed a paycheck (thank you Noble Affiliates or Samedan Oil Company as you were known back then.) As a family we never complained. We got up each morning and we faced the challenges that day delivered. By sheer will she lived till I graduated from high school, then she died.

For a couple of years I blamed God. I thought it was wrong to not have a mother and I went more than a little on the wild side. Yet God protected me and became the one who made sure I persevered.

Life has gone on. Grandchildren have been born who will never know her. Some days I have to search my memory to remember her.

So on Mother's Day what a tribute to a wonderful woman who perhaps gave me the greatest gift...she taught me how to live by showing me how to die.

No comments: