Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Day 9 - My Thoughts Turn Toward Oklahoma

Way down yonder in the Indian Nation...my heart is roaming my Oklahoma Hills tonight. There's a storm brewing in Georgia tonight and is so much like home right now.

My third cousin Richard called to tell me that his father had passed away. Lowell Kenmore has struggled all my life, as far back as I can remember, with muscular dystrophy. At 89 years of age his struggle is over. It was good to hear Richard's voice again, and to remember all those big family reunions. Now our family isn't so big anymore. But somehow I think heaven got a little rowdy last week! (I know those Whitfields)

Then last night I spoke to my step-mom who is suffering from a rare form of cancer. Because of the high cost of out of pocket expenses she has asked to be removed from a clinical trial at MD Anderson. She is in good spirits. They found her a similar trial that is closer to home, so her out of pocket expenses won't be so bad.

My best friend from high school (we've been friends for 45 years) just threw her father-in-law a surprise 75th birthday party. I wish I had been there. I've seen pictures thanks to Facebook. Even after all these years they are my roots.

So for tonight my heart is roaming those Oklahoma Hills where I was born. Tomorrow I'll wake up to a rainy day in Georgia, and I hope it washes my melancholy mood away.

1 comment:

Tara said...

Your post spoke of a rich life...a wonderful connectivity to people and experiences and beautiful places. You are a lucky woman!