Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Day 10 - Parent Conferences

This is the week educators in my county are working 12 hour days to fit in parent conferences, so we can be furloughed 1/2 day on Friday. WooHoo another month of my pay being docked. Oh well...Que sera sera...

Because one of our team members is out on maternity leave the rest of us have split her class and now we are doing her conferences as well as her own. This comes on a week when all of us have had to get 128 grades ready too.

I don't mind conferences, but today I had one of those that breaks your heart. The little girl is a spitfire. She's brassy to say the least, but I like her. I knew she lived with Grandma, and today I found out the rest of the story. It seems that life has made this little one tough. She was born to drug addicts (daddy's mom is the gaurdian), and had traces of drugs in her system. She was in and out of foster homes when her Grandma finally found her. It seems that her last foster home and was being abused. Grandmother has had her now four years. Today the little girl got in a fight and will be in big trouble tomorrow. As we talked I found out that Biological Mom was thrown in jail again Saturday. Seems little girl, age 10, is put out with adults...wonder why?

I tried to encourage Grandma. Little Girl is smart, but hurries through her work. She doesn't do anything she doesn't want to, and struggles with adults (teachers) who seem put out with her. Wonder Why? Then I asked myself what wonderful plan God must have for her. Some would say why would God make her suffer, and I see her as someone who can do great things. I'd like them to move her to my room, so that for nine weeks I can love her and help her find her spot in this world.

On another note. Does anyone remember Kenny from last March? His mom died with cancer. Today I found out his grandaddy died. What's to become of Kenny? I don't know. My husband said I needed to be an advocate for children like Little Girl and Kenny. Funny that's all I've ever wanted to be!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Que sera sera sera...
Sometimes we all have to sing that song.

Beth said...

Your care for the children in your life is obvious. No doubt you have already touched this little girl's heart because you understand her so well. God does have a plan and He can work all things together for good in His time. Keep the faith!

Tara said...

But you already are an advocate for children - your compassion and wisdom allow you to connect and help kids like this little girl when they most need an attentive adult ear. Those moments may be few and fleeting - but can have such significance in a young person's life.

Anonymous said...

What a touching Slice you share today. Thank you. I believe it is often through teachers that children are saved. So many children face horrific situations and it is by grace they are saved. Your post reminds me to extend more grace.

I'll pray for Little Girl and hope one day she will grow up and see the way God has provided for her. (And I believe you are part of this provision.)

Happy teaching,
Ruth