Saturday, March 20, 2010

Day 20 - Growing Old

This year I teach a very unique autistic boy. He is a joy to be around, but 5th grade has really been stressful for him. We've seen a lot more crying and accidents than in the past. I think this comes from him KNOWING that he doesn't get it. Anyway the good out weighs the struggles most days. Yesterday he didn't want to his work, so he started looking for distractions.

Student Teacher was teaching away, when he grabbed her hand, looked at her and said, "I'm so sorry Ms. L. you have really old hands." Student teacher is 53. She regained composure quickly and moved on. I on the other hand had to turn my back and laugh! For some reason it was hilarious. Perhaps because I remembered my great aunt looking at me when I was about 18 and saying, "You have such young hands." Student Teacher maintained composure and replied. "It is okay Mrs. L is trying to grow old gracefully."

Well not to be left out, as the the students were working I started circulating the room and came by his desk. He grabs my hand and says, "Oh No! Your hands are old too, but don't worry I will be here for you." I hugged him and assured him that old hands were a good thing and all was well.

As the day went on I couldn't help thinking about old hands. My mind traveled back to an email poem I got the other day and a line that said...

"Every woman should have a youth she is content to leave behind."

Well that line so fits me. I've lived a very full life. Probably haven't vacationed as much as I'd like to, but all in all its been good. So now I'm more like this line from a poem...

"Grow old with me for the best is yet to be..." or as Brigitte Bardot said, "It is sad to grow old but nice to ripen."

Here's to getting ripe!!!! Have a great Saturday.




7 comments:

Juliann said...

Working with preschool students, I get this kind of thing a lot - they just say what they are thinking - no edit button yet.

Tracey said...

Thanks for three nice ways to look at growing older.

Tara said...

OMG (as my sixth graders would say), I loved that video! Here's the Mary Oliver coda I live by (from her poem "When Death Comes":
"When it's over I don't want to wonder
if I have made something particular, and real.
I don't know want to find myself sighing and frightened,
or full of argument.
I don't want to end up simply having visited this world."

wlb said...

I have never had comments about my hands but kindergarten and first grade kiddos love to rub nylons!

Karren Colbert said...

Oh-so-funny! I love the quotes that put such a positive perspective on growing older.

molly said...

I have old hands, too, and sometimes I just look at them. I once had a pre-schooler tell me that my two front teeth were "really big" (they are, but not THAT big). In an almost-normal kid like him, it was a way to make a connection, like a punch to the shoulder. There are some adults who operate that way, too. I am not fond of that way of approaching me.
I like the sensation I got of hugging this kid, which I could slmost feel, along with your sincere affection and concern for him. He's lucky to have you.

Monkey said...

I think the comments at school are hilarious when I get a haircut...there are some that are so appalled that I would cut my hair shorter--I had one first grader that said for weeks---"you look different." She never confirmed if it was a good different or bad different, lol. Sitting in the eye docs office this week--there were people on oxygen tanks, people with walkers...and I kept thinking to myself "OMG, I should NOT be here.." I had a slight panic moment about it....maybe when I get in my 40's I will feel a little more at ease about getting older? Are the 30's when you panic and feel sick about it---like how am I going to handle this? I don't care about the appearances...it's the medications and illnesses....I feel queasy just thinking about it now! I might need to start reading some books on the subject!