Monday, November 23, 2009

Dreams

Two Writing Teachers are back from a convention and Ruth heard Nicholas Sparks speak. In his speech he said, “I decided I’d never let another 12 year period go by in my life where I started with big dreams and ended with none.” Whew what a statement! In 2006 I started with big dreams, I was finally going to get my doctorate. Let me explain something...the classwork was the easy part. Now here I am with a dissertation that continues to go through rewrites. I tried to get a new chair, and was basically told to get over myself and move on. A lot of money has gone into this dream, but now I question is it worth it.

The daily pressures of a job that is nearing impossible makes me sad! NCLB has a huge flaw at the elementary level. Teachers must be considered "highly qualified". because of this students are being moved from class to class all day. Watching 125 5th graders moved all day long, from teacher to teacher, in a quest to meet the standard for highly qualified is just sad. Big government doesn't understand that what children at this age need is stablity. For instance, when 5th grade was self contained F's class scored 100% on the CRCT in reading, language arts, and math. To me that proves highly qualified teaching!! And it worked out okay when they went between the two of us. Things worked out well. Last year we finished with 98% passing math and around 95% passing reading. Not bad!!! Yet, according to NCLB there was a problem over who was qualified. Unfortunately, NCLB does not measuring the most important attributes of a classroom teacher. It doesn't understand that in reality "highly qualified" has nothing to do with what is on certification papers. "Highly qualified" teachers are measured by something else...caring, compassion, and committment.

So back to Nicholas Sparks quote, do I still have the desire to live a dream or has the government robbed me of all dreams. HUUUMMM...I thought it wasn't that long ago that they encouraged people to live the American Dream. Will I be able to flesh out my dream, or am I going to be left with nothing? That is the question of the year...

For today I'm going to research and write. I'm going to pray that God helps me find the voice and brain power to finish what I've started. Today I'm going to dream of a day when a dream becomes reality...I'll think of NCLB next week.

No comments: