Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Meanderings

"A trip to nostalia now and then is good for the spirit."
(By: Dan Bartolovic)

Somehow yesterday turned into a cooking adventure down memory lane! It all started with the Zucchini Cake.



Matt planted some yellow squash and zuchinni plants. So we are starting to harvest. I'm not a huge zucchini fan, but remembered making zucchini cake with my Grandmother one day. My Grandmother was the best cook in the world! Especially when it came to cakes and pies. So my thoughts were on her and our many days in the kitchen cooking. Oh she would scold me for not making exact measurements and not sifting flour. The boys kept coming through going YUCK!



I had some leftover corn from Sunday night. When we were in Colorado there was an older couple that had us over for supper. We did that ALL the time in Colorado. I've never known what made it so different there, but everyone was always having people over. Anyway she fixed Fried Corn. Love it! It is corn cooked in bacon grease gravy, and then you crumble up the bacon! YUMMO!!!



Then there was the rest of the squash. Linda Lou (step mom) was the first in my life to piece by piece fry squash. There is nothing like it! As I was cooking it I wondered if after she is gone I'd ever be able to cook squash again.



No wonder these boys look like this.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry that I missed your invite...we can pretend that we are in Colorado!

Freda

My the way - how is Chapter 2????

Anonymous said...

Oh! I love fried zucchini. My mom fried it in cracker crumbs, which I think is far better than the bread crumb stuff you get at a restaurant.

the Provident Woman said...

Yummy! That's all I can say. That all looks soooo yummy!