Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Writing Assessments

Today was the day of the state 5th grade writing assessment and I HATE it! State assessments have children write to a topic in one of three genres for two hours. How can this type of assessment understand that my autistic boy didn't write a sentence at the first of the year, now he can write three paragraphs. How can an assessment understand that a 5th grader with a parole officer is doing better than I dreamed possible. How can an assessment understand that Kenny can't write, but it is okay. You see Kenny's mom is dying and there are more important things on his mind today!

Wouldn't it be more realistic to have students keep a portfolio and send in their three best works at certain time in the year. Why do we have to put this kind of pressure on 5th graders! Eighth graders just write to an expository topic, but 5th graders have to write to THREE GENRES! Give me a break.

Don't get me wrong, I think my kids did pretty good today! They tried, they were prepared, and that is all I can ask! I love my class. Also, it isn't fair to test special ed kids like this. Especially EBD, there was an incident today when one of mine who is pulled out for accommodations shut himself up in the closet because he didn't like the prompt.

Well now that that is behind us we are going to have a lot of fun writing for the next few months. We are going to read for enjoyment Letter from Rifka, Number the Stars, Snow Treasures and a new book Twenty and Ten. I know they will learn a lot!

3 comments:

Kelly Sandborn said...

I feel your frustration. We just recently received our state writing assessments scores. They (state depts) just don't seem to get it!

You'll love Twenty and Ten (great book for boys)

If you want something cool to go along with Number the Stars, search Amazon for the DVD about the school who collected 6 million paper clips. It's a great story.

Kelly Sandborn said...

Me again,
The DVD is called Paper Clips by David Smith. There is also a book.

GirlGriot said...

Oh, I remember you writing about Kenny before. I, too, hate these kinds of tests. They seem more cruel than effective. There just has to be a better way to measure the wonderful work students do.