Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Television

My television viewing of late could be considered a bit disturbing. I do not miss 24. You know the show where Jack Bauer is off to save America, single-handily taking on all forms of terrorist evil. Then there is Criminal Minds, I have know idea why I'm obsessed with serial killers. Perhaps I just enjoy the pithy quotes that are thrown around during the show. Then I have to watch CSI Miami reruns. I can't stay awake to watch the new ones, but no fear A&E will keep them coming my way. On a lighter side I like Monk (which is ending after next season), Psych, and Burn Notice. (I'm not really sure those are lighter!)

One thing about television, besides stealing our time, is it is so mindless. I really don't have to think, that was until tonight's Criminal Minds. There is something dangerous about a program that ventures into religion. Mainly because it is nearly always portrayed in a bad light. So tonight on Criminal Minds, a priest was conducting exorcisms and the subjects were dying. Basically, it questioned is demon possession real. Personally, I believe it is and very present in today's society. The show made one statement that struck me, "You can't do this job and not believe that evil exists." I know that even in education I see my fair share of evil everyday.

Neil Postman once wrote, "The problem, in any case, does not reside in what people watch. The problem is in that we watch...". Television has a place, but sometimes we should turn to a good book.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I could use to get into a good TV show!

Anonymous said...

I watch 24. I can't say I love it either. It's exciting and silly. I am hooked on Damages with Glen Close. Love that one and American Idol and number one: Charlie Rose...I have to write about TV...
Jon Voight is a perfect baddie,
Bonnie

Monkey said...

Now that Julie and I don't have the satellite anymore..all of our friends are talking about t.v. When we had the satellite and had favorite shows, everyone acted like they didn't want t.v. It's so crazy!