Thursday, March 12, 2009

New Friends and Books

Last night at choir practice I sat by a new lady. We started singing and I said, "Boy, my eyes are so tired I can hardly see the notes on the page." She said, "Yes, I'm tired too." In between songs we struck up a conversation, do you have children, where do you work, that kind of stuff. She said she lived in Jasper County, and I said we just moved there. She mentioned she worked at the library. The Jasper County library has undergone a major renovation, so I know she is extremely busy. Then I went on about how I love the llibrary and it has always been one of my favorite things. How friendly the people are and everything.

Then I said, "Have you heard about this book?"

She says, "No, but I'll make sure and order it, I'm the director of the library." Yes!! What a cool new friend. The director of a library...what a wonderful job!

This book should be coming out any day now and I probably won't wait for the library to get it. But how exciting a librarian who is willing to stay on top of what is out there.

Also, we have been having book fair at school. I do book clubs after school and when I walked through I mentioned that I would love to have a set of Barbara O'Connor's "How to Steal a Dog." Guess What??? The librarian brought me all the books and said this is from the free books the school gets to select. YES!!!!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a perfect new friend. Book lovers, music lovers. Lovers!
Bonnie

Anonymous said...

The book looks interesting -- is it a bio of Harper Lee?
Kevin

Jane said...

Love your slice. You never know who you might be rubbing shoulders with in this world. Turned out you made a great friend!

Anonymous said...

I have struck up a friendship with my local librarian too. I am hoping it will lead to "first dibs" on new books eventually! :)