Monday, December 22, 2008

Quote

Yesterday in the choir a fellow teacher looked at F and said, "Isn't it great to have two weeks off and we don't even have to think about school." F says she was puzzled and replied, "I may not see them for two weeks, but they are in my every thought."

When you teach fifth grade the pressure of the test is almost too much. When you have an inclusion class and a parasupport class, you are always thinking of how to reach them. Two weeks of 12 hours days were starting to catch up with me. I'm glad for a rest from long days. I left home at dark and got home after dark. I missed my family.

I read sweet blogs of how precious women love their little ones and feel defeated, because when I get home I've given every thing to 50 students and have nothing left for my own. Yet, how do you balance your own and those you are intrusted with? I don't guess I know.

I know exhaustion, lack of patience, and no money. I hear administration talk of adding more hands on instruction to the classroom, yet we are expected to pay for it. I know that most people think...so. But last week F spent over $30 to have candy for some hands on graphing exercises. I've read other blogs where people spend lots of money on notebooks and other material for their kids.

So for the new year, I'd like to learn balance. How to be the best at home and school, without feeling the exhaustion and failure.

No comments: