Saturday, December 20, 2008

A Christmas Miracle

Remember when I mentioned the little boy in my room. Well his speech teacher, a parapro, and I have worked to help make him feel as special as we think he is. So Friday rolled around. K came in to my room with a letter from mom. It was a tear jerker. Thanking me for loving K, wanting me to be aware of all that lay ahead for her and her concern for him. I was so sad (could it only been 35 years since my mom had this same talk with my teachers), but had prayed the day would be special for him.

First, came a suprise package that was a bag of books, no note from who. He was so excited. Inside was the book Ol' Yeller. We had all worked and put together a card with money in it for him and his mom. We already had shoes and clothes wrapped up. (We did all this anonimously.)

Then in the afternoon we had our annual bike give away. All the students who make honor roll or have perfect attendance get to put their name in the hat. WELL guess who won...K. He looked at me, I looked at him and said get on up there. He was running out the room, everyone is screaming and hollering. But it was when we got in the hall and people started coming out of their rooms clapping and saying "Yeah Kenneth." I thought I'd die.

Later we went for a long recess and K looks at me and says, "This morning I had an old bike with a torn seat, now I have a brand new bike. Can it get any better than this?"

Oh K, I hope when you got home and had your extra gifts that you realized there is a God who cares and looks over you. As the hard days (that are surely ahead for you) come may you never forget the day that Miracles happened.

Thank you God for being in the miracle business and letting me see them through the eyes of a 10 year old boy!

3 comments:

Sarah B. B. said...

Without a doubt, K is the only child I've ever taught who never gave me a moment's trouble. His spirit is amazing; I'm so glad you were able to make this happen for him. :)

Natalie said...

I remember him too--what a precious child. I'm so glad that he had the opportunity to receive, and that you all had the opportunity to give. I'm sure it was a great day for you both.

Jane said...

What a sweet, sweet Christmas story!
Thanks for sharing,
Jane