Monday, September 1, 2008

It is fall and again that magical time in my life when football rules.
I know that I have lived in Georgia for 15 years now and on most days Georgia feels like home.
That is until football season rolls around.
Then there is only one team for me

That's right "Boomer Sooner".

I can't remember when it started it has just always been.

I was born into a family of football fans. I remember Mymomma sharing tales of the glory years with Bud Wilkenson. Then came Barry Switzer. My 14th birthday present was a trip to see the Sooners play. They played Wake Forest and beat them 54 to 0. Not much of a game, but it didn't matter I was there.

Now my brother lives in Norman. Occasionally he goes to a game and I'm sure if I called today and said, "I'm coming in for a game." He would make it happen.

The crazy thing about my obsession with the Sooners is the fact that my children and husband are all fans. Drew is my only child born in Oklahoma. So I'm thinking this is heredity! Yesterday, Matt ask me if I knew the whole fight song, I knew the main parts and then looked up the rest. I'm thinking it needs to be put on my tombstone:

I'm a Sooner born and Sooner bred and when I die, I'll be Sooner dead


Until that day - BOOMER SOONER!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess you can take the girl out of OK, but you can't take the OK out of the girl. :)

Anonymous said...

Love your post and your spirit. I am a Penn State fan living in the flat farmlands of Indiana. But I must say I am an Oklahoma fan every time they play Nebraska.

BK said...

Sorry, can't add much team spirit here. I do love politics. Does that count? Of course, it's a bit more serious, no?
I do come from a family of sports fans, that's for sure. I'm odd one out. God thing I have a man that's as odd as I am.
Bonnie

BK said...

Sorry, can't add much team spirit here. I do love politics. Does that count? Of course, it's a bit more serious, no?
I do come from a family of sports fans, that's for sure. I'm odd one out. God thing I have a man that's as odd as I am.
Bonnie