Saturday, September 20, 2008

Another Project

Greetings from Project Land! That's right Gabe and I (and Gunter) have completed yet another project (our 4th in 3 weeks). This is Standards Based Education with an Attitude!
You see I am supposedly a quasi-expert on standards these days. I have had indepth training. Yet, I can not assign these type of projects to my students, because of the ones who will not do it or have no parent help on one, no computer, no one to help get pictures, etc. Yet, private school teachers who have had no indepth training in standards based education, they just read the standards, are able to assign and get quality work.
Gabe's project is a family tree. It goes along with a classroom reading assignment and will count 80% of his grade. With this visual he also is expected to bring in some family heirlooms. That is where the project is falling apart at the moment! And guess what if a student doesn't do it, they get a "0". Does anyone remember those days?
The project has pictures of Grandparents, Mom, Dad, and brothers. It also has a visual representation of what they like to do. For instance, Grandma is a crossword, Grandpa is a man in a recliner, my dad is a motorcycle, Gabe is a gaming controller, and I'm a cook. You get the idea. Anyway, this project is good, but Gabe also has to get up and tell (not read) his family history.
All very interesting, and I'm the quasi-standards based expert!

4 comments:

Monkey said...

Turned out well!

K2daK said...

That looks great!

I get laughs at my school because I am always talking about standards and what they mean and how do approach and do it. I also got some upset parents when I assigned a 3 week project (that you could do in one night) sent home all the materials and even index cards to help with each part & 2 finsihed maps that pretty much did the project for them...two times. Then I assigned a "fun" project the next week....so I heard a lot of mean parent feedback. Oh well! The kids loved it and learned from it.

I love everyone's use of the word quasi here lately.

:) Great project!

K2daK said...

Are some of those pictures the ones Monkey took on the project?

Lennye said...

Yes, the family pics are all from the monkey shoot.