Saturday, May 3, 2008

Questions to Ponder

I have a question. Why is it that educators get so defensive if anyone says anything negative about public school? I'm just curious.

This week Pioneer Woman did a blog on homeschooling her kids. It was more about her concern that perhaps her kids want to abandon the daily grind of ranch live and be in school. They homeschool because of the distance from town, etc. Anyway, most comments were good. There are those that wish they could homeschool, but can't because of financial reasons. (True we all are not as well to do as pioneer woman's family.) Then some teacher gets on there (early 300's) and starts lambasting everyone for their negativity. HUH?

Do I teach in public school? Absolutely. Do I think it is perfect? No! Do I feel the need to infer that others are wrong because they do not like public school? No! Pioneer Woman said it best, "Some people should never homeschool, but do. While others should homeschool, but don't."

As a former homeschooling family, private school teacher, and public school teacher I have seen it all. The good, the bad, and the ugly. Public school, private school, and homeschooling all have their issues, but shouldn't we allow people the right to say what they feel. Every now and then someone will say, "My child would never go to private school and develop that elitist attitude." Okay. That is their opinion. I don't see it that way, obviously!

I left teaching in private school for more reasons than money, insurance, and retirement. They didn't need me. Most of my private school children were from stable homes. I felt that I might make a bigger difference in public school.

However, since I am a public school teacher let me be the first to point out the flaws in the system. Because (Good Lord willing), I want to be the one to help find the way to fix it. The issues in public school are more than high stakes testing, and crowded classrooms. I look at the problems in public school as a microcosm of what is wrong in our society today. Can I change the whole system? Maybe not, but I can hopefully make a lasting impression on one child!

4 comments:

Monkey said...

I can see both sides...I think defenders of both public and private can get a little defensive and SOME not all for both sides can get a little snobby about the one they choose. I think public school educators sometimes NOT ALL feel that when SOME not all private school folks are talking about how great their schools are and how BAD public education is---that it's a personal slam against them because they teach in public schools and try to make a difference...and SOME private school people act as though anyone and everything coming out of a public school is ALL bad and all scummy. I think both sides need to take a gigantic chill pill and realize that most people are doing the best they can for their individual children and most people want what is best and some can afford private and some can't...and even if you can afford it--doesn't mean it's always better for you. Some private situations are better and some public. Same for home-schooling. I think even in life in general not even relating to education, people need to be less judgmental and realize that people are living their own lives and they need to not be so mean and harsh when people are doing what makes them happy---so long as it's not putting anyone else in danger or is cruel to anyone else. In regards to Art in private schools--I was pretty shocked to find out that students from one private school near us had NEVER even touched clay (and were in the third grade) and were told that rainbow order is ROYBGIV and not ROYGBIV...now you know that is a sin in my book to get that wrong...so that school's Art situation (teacher, department--whatever it is) lost some points in my book. Also with home schooling---I think (for the people that don't do a top-notch job) they might do pretty well teaching their kids reading, math, etc...but I wonder what kind of quality they are getting from physical activities, music and Art. I just don't believe that only ONE person can give ALL of the best of every subject to their children, so hopefully they don't try to do it all on their own and they go out and let their kids experience those things outside the home. I mean look and you and Freda---Freda gives them the best quality math experience and you give them the best quality reading/writing experience--so I believe sometimes it takes a good team.

Monkey said...

that wins the award for the longest comment I've ever written! :)

Anonymous said...

Well....I can finally comment (because of the anonymous thing)! I really don't have anything to add to this blog, however I just wanted you to know that you are appreciated and thank God you teach the ELA portion of our team and not me!!!!

Freda

K2daK said...

I can't even pretend to read Monkey's long comment. :) I loved teaching in a public school, I love teaching in a private school, I don't feel that private school will be my forever home...although I never thought I would have 2 kids & leave public school, God has plans of His own.

I think you get defensive (and I still do) because it is personal for you, you work your ass off teaching and you care for your kids and you practically kill yourself looking for ways to reach them & help them, anyone who puts that much effort into something should get defensive when needed.