Saturday, April 19, 2008

Books To Read Before You Die

In my life I have come across a few books that everyone needs to read. The order listed does not reflect the necessary order.

1. A Bend in the Road by David Jeremiah
This is one of those books that will encourage you as you face hard times. Probably best read
in the midst of a struggle to give your strength for the battle.

2. Hitler's Cross by Erwin W. Lutzer
History has a lot to say and this is an eye opening look at how Hitler took over Germany.

3. Evidence Not Seen by Darlene Deibler Rose
This is how I want to end my life. I want my boys to look back over my struggles and see
God's hand at every turn and know that he will do the same for them. The author was a
prisoner of war during WWII in New Guinea. A truly remarkable story of faith and courage.

4. Seabiscuit by Laura Hillenbrand
I think this could be one of the all time great stories of an underdog overcoming great odds.
(Let's pray this week that my little class can have the same success)

5. Anything Elizabeth Elliott. I couldn't pick one. Through the Gates of Splendor was the first
one I read and I was hooked. She is perhaps the greatest Christian Woman of our time.

6. Anything Celestine Sibley. We live in Georgia, we need to read Georgia Writers. Christmas in
Georgia is my favorite (I think).

7. Lay This Body Down: The 1921 Murder of Eleven Plantation Slaves by Gregory Freeman
One of the most shocking books you will ever read. This took place in Monticello, Georgia.
This is an out of print book, I found a copy for $1.50. You can also probably find it in the
library, but you need to find it!

Sorry, I didn't have ten! Let's start here and then I will lead you to the next level later.

1 comment:

Sarah B. B. said...

Thanks for the ideas, Lennye! I'm always on the lookout for something different to read, and this list will really help next time I'm browsing.