Monday, March 24, 2008

Books Abound!

Yes, the new turn in my research has brought a wealth of new reading to the Hestad Manor.

1. Best Practices in Writing Instruction edited by Steve Graham, Charles MacArthur, and Jill Fitzgerald.

2. The Consequences of Writing by Parker and Goodkin (this one excites me!)

3. Brain-Friendly Strategies for the Inclusion Classroom byWillis

4. Writing Activities for Special Children by Mannix (I should of read earlier)

5. Teaching Writing in the Inclusive Classroom by Passman and McKnight

So my nights are pretty full at the moment, since Chapter 1 needs to be done by the middle of April, and I'm starting over.

SBB, are you going to the IRA conference. I get to go....but, I don't think I can afford to stay overnight, we shall see.

Pray for Dan to get in more horses. The economy is not being nice to the horse business. Dan has lost four customers of late. Two of those have been with us for over four years! So things are rough in the neighborhood.

On a happy note, one of my babies tested normal for an IQ and so low in any type of reading ability that it barely registered. He never got it, he has the mental capacity, just not the processing skills to accomplish the task. Math skills were near average. Unfortunately, the new GPS standards in math will take their toll on him, because he can't read the story problems.

3 comments:

K2daK said...

I read the word neighborhood and two things came into my head, Mr. Rogers and Rhino saying "I want to wear my neighborhood." when he wants to wear his hood on his shirt and or jacket.

Hopefully Dan will get some more business soon, you guys will make it through you always do!

Have fun reading, I know you are going to write an awesome paper!!

Have you ever used Power writing? Know anything about it? If you run across any of that let me know.

Sarah B. B. said...

GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Power Writing scares me.

I am going to IRA, as far as I know. You're welcome to stay here, chickie, but you'll be sleeping on the futon, and we can all fight for warm shower water. :) Aren't I inviting?

Is the focus of this paper writing for kids with special needs? I have a whole writing library that you need to read....

Monkey said...

No knowledge of teaching kids how to read or write...but I have a cute puppy to love on if you need free stress relief...it works wonders. ;)

Tell Dan that sometimes the thing we love most doesn't pay the bills, but makes a great hobby...like I don't think I can make enough money loving on puppies, but I can do something else I love (just not as much) to pay the bills and have my favorite on the side! :) On second thought, don't tell him that, he might get mad. :)