Tuesday, January 1, 2008

The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio

If for some reason you haven't seen this movie, you need to. I've seen it twice now. I am amazed at the woman's patience and perserverence. I also am reminded that as women we've come along way since the 1960's.

Favorite line - after another incident with hubby that has sent her to the hospital, husband says, "I only want you to be happy." The main character played by Juliette Moore says, "I don't need you to make me happy. Just leave me alone when I am happy."

2 comments:

Sarah B. B. said...

Happy New Year! Haven't seen the movie (will add it to Netflix), but I did read the book. My mom actually made me read it, she said, to make me understand the world SHE grew up in. (I must've been having an ungrateful moment or something.) Not so much that her house was like that house, but the overall teensy tiny Midwestern town setting. :)

Monkey said...

My mom made me watch The Godfather to see how she grew up...ha! Just playing!