Friday, January 18, 2008

A New Chili Recipe!

While cruising the web tonight I found this recipe on SouthernLiving.com It is wonderful! I had to cut out one can of tomatoes (you know I can't stand the chunks!). I can't wait to have it tomorrow on a snowy day with crackers....I hope we have crackers.

Chunky Beef 'n' Tomato Chili
Prep: 20 min.; Cook: 1 hr., 25 min.

1 pound ground round
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes with green peppers and onions
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes with zesty mild green chiles
1 (10-ounce) can condensed beef broth
2 garlic cloves, pressed
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 (15-ounce) can light kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15-ounce) can dark kidney beans, rinsed and drained

Cook beef in a Dutch oven over medium heat, stirring occasionally into large chunks, 10 minutes or until no longer pink. (Do not stir beef into crumbles.) Drain and return beef to Dutch oven.

Stir both cans of diced tomatoes and next 7 ingredients into browned beef; reduce heat to medium low, and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, 1 hour. Stir in beans, and simmer 15 minutes. Serve with desired toppings.

Yield: Makes about 6 servings (serving size: 1 2/3 cups)

Back when I was little, growing up in OKLAHOMA, in the winter the butcher would grind the hamburger meat at a thicker texture. That is what this recipe needs, however, I've tried to explain this to various Georgia butchers and they look at me like I have two heads. Anyway it is a keeper. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Monkey said...

I too hope you have crackers...that would be tragic to not have them, lol! Also, two heads are better than one. ;)