Tuesday, April 11, 2023

What are you making?

     Today I go back to work after spring break. There is a part of me excited to get there and see my students, and another part that knows I'll be struggling the next six weeks to get any work out of them. So I questioned what am I doing?

    In a 2015 article by Jon Bloom entitled "What Will You Leave Behind?" he quotes Dorothy Sayer, “What we make is more important than what we are, particularly if ‘making’ is our profession.” Bloom goes on to add, "God has bestowed on all humans the incredible privilege of being sub-creators. We all make things all the time. And our making is of great importance to God."

    My "making" - what I do - is important to God! Yes, teaching writing to a bunch of wild middle schoolers matters to God, especially if I make Jesus's priorities mine. "What did Jesus build to last? Only two things: his word (teaching) and his church (transformed, born-again people). That’s all Jesus left in the world when he left the world. He determined no other artifacts were worth preserving." (Bloom)

    Bloom ended his insightful essay with these words, "What you are is of eternal importance. And what you make reveals what you are. So make the priorities of all that you make to serve the priorities of your Maker. Make your making eternally durable (1 Corinthians 3:12–13) by making it serve the advancement of the word and the church."

        So as we wrap up the 4th Quarter, I pray that God will keep me mindful of what I'm "making" and help me not lose sight. And while I may never see accomplishments in this life, may I reap a bountiful harvest in the next.


"As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God’s varied grace..." 1 Peter 4:10

No comments: