Saturday, April 15, 2023

 Alice-isms...I was raised with them.

"Be sure your sins will find you out."

"Treat others the way you want to be treated.

"They haven't hung you on a cross yet, so your good."

"All but by the grace of God goes you."

Alice didn't play. She didn't show fear. She had a "take the bull by the horns attitude." Weakness was never an option. If you grew weary "in your walk" then pray. 

I come from what you'd call a "strong matriarchal family." The women in my family were not weak! My great-grandmother would say, "The man is the head of the house, but the woman is the neck and turns the head." These gals were tough! My grandmother had five sisters and an ex-sister-in-law who was her best friend. My uncle's wife, Aunt Ruby, could hang right with them. 

They were a different family. Tougher than boot-leather, but literally oozed Jesus.

I've gotten to the age I speak Alice! I never has thought I was tough as them, but life has proved otherwise. I look back and I can't help but think how blessed I've been! Yet, at the same time I'm sad I didn't get to share them with my kids, because stories just aren't enough.

Friend, what are you leaving behind?



No comments: