Thursday, April 27, 2023

Keep Your Confidence

 ...but there is a God in heaven who reveals mysteries. 

Daniel 2:28 

As you go into chapter 2 of Daniel the message is the same it is God who is in control of all things.  Alastair Begg calls chapter 2 in his book "Keep Your Confidence." See Daniel had long before he was in need of God's help learned who God was. The situation did not overcome the ultimate outcome.

As I pondered chapter 2 I wondered how I can truly believe in a Sovereign God. There is no doubt in me where He is concerned. I truly believe He is in control of all situations, but how do I believe it? Why is my belief in this one characteristic of God so different than others I know?

So last night I pondered. Was it from being raised by Alice? Who instilled in me the phrase, "Where are you going to go but to the Lord?" Is it from the multitude of biographies of strong Christians I've read?

Elizabeth Elliott once wrote, “The Auca story …. Has pointed to one thing: God is God. If he is God, he is worthy of my worship, and my service. I will find rest nowhere but in his will, and that will is infinitely, immeasurably, unspeakably beyond my largest nothings of what he is up to. God is the God of human history, and he is at work continuously, mysteriously, accomplishing his eternal purposes in us, through us, for us, and in spite of us. … Cause and effect are in God’s hands. Is it not the part of faith simply to let them rest there? God is God. I dethrone him in my heart if I demand that he act in ways that satisfy my idea of justice. … The one who laid the earth’s foundations and settled its dimensions knows where the lines are drawn. He gives all the light we need for trust and obedience.” (Through Gates of Splendor, pgs. 268-269, 273)

Daniel got it! I've been blessed with that confidence that He is capable of holding it all together. So my pondering led me to this answer - it is a gift. I have been blessed by God!

Friend, in who is your confidence placed? The God of Daniel, strong and mighty, or the God of your own making. 


No comments: