Wednesday, June 8, 2022

Become a Life-long Learner

 Some people, I think, are given a propensity to learning. Yet others must work at it. I fall in the category of life-long learner. I love reading the latest research on reading and studying God's Word, both bring me pleasure.

In the book Habits of Grace the author shares five principles of life-long learning:

1.  Vary your sources and your seasons.

2.  Create space and redeem time.

3.  Mind your mindless moments

4.  Adapt to new media

5.  Embrace the identity of learner

Points 1, 2 and 4 have been something we've practiced all our lives.

For me the hardest thing to do is mind my mindless moments. I can waste valuable time vegging out. However, Dan's been on vacation this week and one thing I notice is we don't turn on the TV. We get up drink coffee and read till around 11am, then he goes and conquers a project. I envision this will be very similar to what retirement looks like for us. (So I think Dan makes me more accountable to not fall into #3)

Both of us have that given propensity to learn. We have never been afraid to challenge our beliefs and grow. Some of the saddest people I know will say, "I know what I believe and that is all I need to know." Giving yourself to learning more about Christ and our Christian walk is needful for growth and maturity. 

So what are you my friend?

No comments: