Wednesday, January 12, 2022

No Authority, but God

 

Is God Sovereign or not? This a question that every Christian needs to answer. 

It saddens my heart when I hear 11-12-13-14-year-old boys vehemently attack the president of the United States. Why might you ask?  Because if I've answered the question of God's sovereignty then I know that everything comes from Him?

Look at the verses - for there is no authority except from God, and whoever resists the authority resists what God has appointed.

Now if you've read this far you are probably so angry your blood pressure is up! My grandmother used to say, "Be careful what you pray for because you just might get it." Personally, I think sometimes God shows us OUR true hearts through our leaders. 

Now, will I stand up for injustice in our court systems - absolutely. Will I continually vote against abortion rights - absolutely. However, I will do it in a Godly manner.

1 Timothy 2:2-4 tells us what that response should be, "Pray this way for kings and all who are in authority so that we can live peaceful and quiet lives marked by godliness and dignity. This is good and pleases God our Savior, who wants everyone to be saved and to understand the truth."

Matthew Henry says, " The grace of the gospel teaches us submission and quiet, where pride and the carnal mind only see causes for murmuring and discontent."

Imagine this if you will, what would happen if parents (because those boys aren't parroting what they hear on the news), started setting the example of praying for our leaders in front of those impressionable minds? What if we just fell on our knees and submitted to the fact that God is sovereign and even if things aren't going like we envision, we will trust Him? What if this Sunday churches sang "My faith is built on Jesus's blood and righteousness' and meant it?  

Well, I have no idea if the world would be better. Probably not! But I know this my outlook would be better. 

My friends, join me in praying for our leaders and our country. And that upon His return He who will "judge the quick and the dead" find us faithful.





No comments: