Friday, August 28, 2020

God's Wisdom

         As a child my grandmother would say above all else pray for wisdom.  Through the years I have tried to make this my heart's desire.  However, the last few days I've wondered about God's wisdom in a high profile person's sin that has been made very public.

        I'm sure by now you've heard the torrid details of Jerry Falwell Jr's sin. This morning as the liberal media was going over such sordid details I felt as if I'd throw up.  Ephesians 5:12 says, "For it is shameful even to speak of the things that they do in secret."  Trust me I was wanting them to stop speaking!  Yet, Numbers 32:23 says, "But if you fail to do this, you will be sinning against the LORD; and you may be sure that your sin will find you out." Well, Mr. Falwell that sin is out there for the world to see.

       So in my finite mind I think, "God how is it wise to bring such reproof to your name?" Nineteenth - century theologian JL Dagg described wisdom "as consisting in the selection of the best end of action, and the adoption of the best means of accomplishment of this end." He then added, "God is infinitely wise, because he selects the best possible end of action...[and] because he adopts the best possible means for the accomplishment of the end which he has in view." (Bridges, 1988, p. 118) Therefore, once again God is showing me that his ways are so far above what my mind can comprehend.

            John Piper has said, "The chief end of God is to bring glorify God and enjoy himself forever." Obviously this is a mystery to me how anything going on now (presidential elections, rioting, pandemics, and fallen ministers) can bring glory to our Creator. I look at Falwell and see disgusting sin that makes me cringe, but let's turn that bright light on ourselves and look at our own sin. Are we bringing glory to God in all we say and do? We are told in 1 Peter5:8 that the Devil "prowls around like a roaring lion looking for who he may devour." We could just as easily be in Falwell's shoes. Another thing my grandmother said, "Was all but the grace of God it could be you."

               I don't know where all this is going I'm not that wise. Yet, in God's infinite wisdom I know he will to bring good out of evil, and guess what He doesn't have to tell us why. I have been taught all my life that God doesn't make mistakes. His ways are not my ways, but his ways are perfect. I don't have to understand them, I just have to trust Him. When I do that my life is so much easier.

See the source image

No comments: