Saturday, August 29, 2020

God's Love

See the source image


        In this world it seems very hard to see the love of God.  Rabbi Kushner years ago wrote a book called, Why Do Bad Things Happen to Good People?  Like Kushner many of us focus on our situation and tend to question God's love for us. Unless, we have come to grips with the sovereignty of God. It is imperative that we have affirmed belief in our hearts and minds.

        As I contemplate these things...a sovereign, loving God. I've been struck with why a "Name it and Claim it" theology can not work.  For if we take that approach that only good things are going to happen to me because God loves me, then we fall apart in times of hardship and question God's Love.  The Bible tells us in John 3:16-17, "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him."  The very depth of God's love for us was shown on the cross.  Romans 5:8 says, "But God proves His love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."  My grandmother used to say, "But where will we go but to the Lord."

        I don't know why bad things happen to good people. I don't know why some suffer through watching a loved one fight cancer, death, financial hardships, wrecked relationships, or lives spiraling out of control, but my prayer list is full of such hurting and pain. And just when it seems unbearable I look toward the cross and I'm reminded that NOTHING can separate me from the LOVE of God.

        It has been said that "Anything this side of hell is pure grace." I don't know about you, but I need that grace and love of Christ everyday!

        Shalom, my friends.        

No comments: