Saturday, March 17, 2012

March 17

Hard to believe that tonight my baby (10th grade) is going to the prom.  He is going with an older woman (11th grade).  I have three sons.  They are the loves of my life.  One is 26 and at UK (grad school)...go Wildcats.  One is 22  and at UGA (graduates in December) go DAWGS!!!  Looking back I thought they'd never grow up.  I stopped teaching when #1 came along to be a full time mom.  But when I was home and we struggled on one income, I always wanted to go back to teaching.  Everyone would say, "Oh they will grow up fast and you'll be back before you know it."  However, those years at home seemed long.  I wish I'd of enjoyed it more.

Then they started leaving home to follow their dreams.  Just like every parent wants.  Number 1 got married to a sweet Christian girl who is what we prayed he'd find.  They are active in their church.  Both are in graduate school and they are very self-sufficient.  Number 2 son while no so self-sufficient he tries.  They both go their own ways and it really wasn't that hard to let them go.  Now I wish I had more money to enjoy these years.

Now we come to #3.  My heart may literally break over the next three years as #3 starts showing independance.  Tonight he has forbidden me to go to the walk thru at prom.  Ok!  Whatever!!!  Soon he will drive, and need me much less than he does now.  Am I really ready for that.  For letting go...

Now I wish we'd had more time!

                                                     He is 6'4" and she is standing on a step.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A sweet lament from your mother's heart. Doesn't he look handsome though? Off you go # 3...

Stacey said...

I can't imagine my kids getting married and going to prom- they are 9 and 7. You remind me that they will... And to enjoy the time, because it does go fast.