Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Where I'm From...

Tomorrow is going to be a great day. We are going to use George Ella Lyons poem Where I'm From as a mentor text and write our own poems. I'm going to use this as a hook...



I think I'll even write a new one for me...

I'm from the land of the red man,
from all night preaching and tent meetings.
I'm from peanuts poured in an ice cold RC Cola.
I'm from the memosa tree that stood between my house and my grandmother's house. The place where we sat every summer night and watched fireflies dance.

In light of all the budget cuts, state mandated testing, etc...I think it is time to have a little fun again.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is very inspiring! I love to do "Where I'm From" as a circle share....each person contributes a line that really says something about their background or tradition. We call the poem "Where We are From."

Bonnie K said...

I learned so much in that small space of gems about you and yes, move on beyond those "high" stakes tests. UGH!
Bonnie

Stacey said...

I was just chatting with one of my former student teachers yesterday who is up to the same "Where I'm From" thing with her fourth graders.

BTW: I like the RC Cola reference!