Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Day 24 - Over medication

     Today I had a rare moment with one of our more difficult students. In the classroom full of activity it was just the two of us. He has had a rough time. All year he has been so medicated it is scary. The medications made him more than a little defiant and mean, kind of like a grizzly you didn't want to bother. Last week the doctors decided to take him off his long list of medications. Let's just say I'm not a fan of medicatiing teachers or students, and I will always remember today as a reason why. Anyway, we sat and he talked to me no yelling, no drama. He realized that his flip book looked bad, because (back in his drug induced haze) he had crumbled it up and tore it. He asked if he could make a new one. I said yes, but I didn't know how (student teacher had made it). He assured me he could do it. And he did. Then with me sitting there he proceeded to ask for a help doing the project. We talked about what he could do and he did a great job! (This kid hasn't done anything all year, but break pencils, throw them at people, and refuse to do work. This was while on medication.) While we were working he asked me for some crackers because his stomach hurt. He thinks it is strange that since he quite taking the medicine he has this stomach ache. However, the crackers seem to work. I asked him if I could see his agenda I wanted to write grandma a note and tell her how much he did at school today. He said she is very proud of him. I told him I was too. 

     I think to often we are medicating our little boys to make them fit a certain mold. Perhaps it is because I grew up in the 70's, but somedays I feel like school resembles the Nickelback song "Rockstar"..."everybody's got a drug dealer on speed dial"...(even if it is a pharmacist). This year we have way to many students on long lists of medications. One student literally is on uppers during the day and strong downers at night to put him to sleep. I don't know but this can't be good for anybody, muchless a child of 10 and 11.

   

5 comments:

Beth said...

I agree. I have a friend in my room who is all over the place - literally some days. But we are making accommodations and slowly but surely it is working. He is a bright boy (7 years old) very curious, focused on what he likes, disinterested in what he doesn't. The challenge for me is to make him at least slightly interested in the "boring" stuff. We'll get there. Glad to hear of your success. -Beth

Christy Rush-Levine said...

The most endearing part of your post was the invitation you left in the comment box at the Two Writing Teachers website! You shared your opinion, but it is clear you are open minded enough to be rational about meds. I agree with you completely. I just had a parent whose daughter is experiencing typical teen angst throw around acronyms and medications as if they are the bandaid to prevent us from experiencing the regular old ups and downs of life. That student is lucky to have you.

Tara said...

I love that you took the time to sit, one on one, with him. It's hard to know what to do sometimes - I agree with your thoughts on medicating active boys to mak them manageable, but I have a son who is very ADHD; we waited until 9th grade to turn to medication, and it has helped him focus. But neither of us are entirely comfortable with this - Ben feels he needs his meds to focus, but feels he loses something of his essence when he's on meds (he is like Robin Williams - funny in a crazy,quick witted and quirky way. I just want to do the right thing by him...

Anonymous said...

So....are you saying you don't want ME to take MY meds???? LOL a lot!

Freda

Monkey said...

I DEFINITELY want Freda to keep taking her meds!! :) I agree with you that meds for little kiddos has gotten out of hand...but I'm sure for some it's an unnecessary evil--surely some intelligent person could figure out why all of a sudden people are "needing" meds when back in the 80's life was grand?! Maybe it's the lack of Smurfs and Mr. Rogers...I'm only half kidding.
I think when you get older if you need a little chemical supplement to make your life better--then you are wise/old enough to make that choice. I'm still busting through life ALL natural! :) But if I ever become ogre enough or can't find the sunshine in my days on my own, if it got bad enough I might would pop one here and there to try and find my old self again.
This student you are talking about is (I believe) the one who back in kindergarten was introduced to us as the one who had a parent hit him over the head with a garden tool and lock him in a shed...I've always liked this kid...Art is totally his thing and he can out draw any of us...this is the thing he thrives on. This year I've seen a change in him, he's unhappier this year, different somehow. But I can't ever think of a time when he's producing Art that I have ever had a discipline/anger moment issue with him----why can't people see Art as an outlet and therapy for these types of kids?!