Thursday, June 25, 2009

Death

Today, I learned that a childhood friend has passed away. Janet Carter was one of my running buddies for several years. Her brother took me to the freshman prom, we really did run out of gas on the way home. It was before cell phones and I was panicy. I wish I could find my pictures and post one of us. I checked airfare, but I can't afford it 5 days before payday.

Word is she had just settled a million dollar lawsuit against UPS over a workman comp situation. She was in pain and mixed alcohol with some pain killers. Her boys are older than mine. Janet had a rough life I guess, but we all did. None of us were rich.

Also, today Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcitt passed away, icons of our glory years the '70's.

Emily Dickinson wrote:

Because I could not stop for Death --
He kindly stopped for me --
The Carriage held but just Ourselves --
And Immortality.

We slowly drove -- He knew no haste
And I had put away
My labor and my leisure too,
For His Civility?

We passed the School, where Children strove
At Recess -- in the Ring --
We passed the Fields of Gazing Grain --
We passed the Setting Sun --

Or rather -- He passed Us --
The Dews drew quivering and chill --
For only Gossamer, my Gown --
My Tippet -- only Tulle --

We paused before a House that seemed
A Swelling of the Ground --
The Roof was scarcely visible --
The Cornice -- in the Ground --

Since then -- 'tis Centuries -- and yet
Feels shorter than the Day
I first surmised the Horses' Heads
Were toward Eternity --

I do not know Janet, Michael, or Farrah's spiritual condition. I pray that they were saved and at peace with God our Father.

No comments: