Tuesday, March 24, 2009

A Trip to Dollar General

If you don't live in the south you might not even know what a Dollar General is, but let me tell you the new one on Hwy 36 is wonderful. I only needed envelopes, but then other things started calling me...shampoo and conditioner, paper plates for the party this weekend, canned veggies that are cheaper than the grocery store, drinks, chips, oh the list can go on and on...

But it is more than that, a trip to the Dollar General is a trip to look at those things you don't need, for instance, polka-dotted glasses. I really didn't need drinking glasses, but I don't like glass and perfer heavy plastic (its a long story and goes back to my first year teaching). Then I saw these crazy polka-dotted glasses and they made me HAPPY, so they went in the shopping cart. Next, I had to look at placemats, I still haven't found the right ones. Then I had to look at all the Easter stuff...what fun.

But the most fun at the Dollar General is watching people. These folks go from country to business exes, there are grandparents with grandchildren, teenagers, old folks, and hard working folks stoppin' in for that small something. Yeap, a trip to the Dollar General beats Wal-Mart any day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have the alternative, The Dollar Store, most things are around a dollar. Can't say I spend much time in them but I know lots of people who love them, just like you Lennye,
The people watching, now that's a great reason for joining the fun,
Bonnie

Becky said...

Boy, can I identify with your description of shopping at the Dollar General. I truly have to avert my eyes when my car comes near their parking lots. Once inside I'm lingering in the aisles for what seems like hours.