Thursday, December 11, 2008

Introspection

Most people understand that teaching is more than a job. Probably very few understand that a good teacher these days puts in a good 13 hour day at least 5 days a week, and always has work on the weekend. When we aren't working we are studying how to become better. For 180 days my students are never out of my mind! Then through the years I think of them often and pray for their well being! However, my greatest job isn't so much the academics as it is to help them learn how to be better human beings.

Their reaction to yesterday's throwing up incident really upset me. So our day started with a stern talk about how to treat others. There were tears, but I hope they got it! Then my tough big boy...I learned something about him. Even though he is bad to the bone, he wants limits and to know you somebody loves him. Yesterday, someone comment "Oh her comes CJ he must want something, so he'll ask H." Okay, so that person doesnt' know that he is a 12 year old who gets to roam the streets and his mom doesn't know or care where he is! Tomorrow will be hard for him, because I will be gone. Today, they came to collect cans and before they came in CJ picked up a can and said, "I need this." I said, "You can have it." He didn't take it, but he sure could have.

Then there is a little boy in my room, sweetest child I've ever taught. The other day we were working on persuasive letters to President elect Obama and we were talking about issues of today, when he started sharing. It was very uncharacteristic of him. He shared that his mom's cancer just kept showing up and that the doctor's at Emory are going to put her on a clinical trial. My heart breaks for a precious child whose life will forever be changed because of illness. So on the way home I decided I wanted to put together a little Christmas for him. Not because that happy child doesn't have everything he needs (love and security, the thing CJ doesn't have), but because I want him to have a special day where sickness isn't even thought about!

Monkey had a big birthday today. I hope it was all she expected! It started out a rainy, dismal day in Georgia. I hope it got brighter for her.

1 comment:

Jane said...

You are an amazing teacher...so caring and thoughtful. They are blessed to have you!
~jane