Monday, November 3, 2008

Election Eve

I wish I had a scanner and could show you a picture of my grandmother. I think it would help you comprehend this better.

The first election I voted in was 1980. I drove my grandmother down to the polling place at my old high school. Before we went in my grandmother looked at me and said, "Just fill in the circle under the rooster." Back then the rooster was the column that signified the Democratic party. My grandmother was a yellow dog democrat. She would have voted for a yellow dog if it ran on the Democratic ticket. The reason was she had voted for Hoover and lived through the depression. She prayed everyday that God would see her family through and in return promised that she would never vote for another Republican as long as she lived. She never voted for another Republican, but I wonder what she would do today?

My grandmother died 3 months before I had Drew (24 years ago). I want to think that she would feel the same way I do. I did not leave the democratic party--they left me. You see those strong Oklahoma Judeo-Christian values she instilled in me have transcend politics. While I would never label myself as ultra-conservative, I am conservative to the depths of my soul. I look at the elections tomorrow and know that whatever happens God knew before hand and has allowed it to be. So I have no fear. Oh, I do think if one gets in, instead of the other...we may be in for a tough time in America.

I know many of my friends would not think me progressive enough, and may even look down on me. But that isn't that the beauty of voting...I can vote my conscience, not yours!

The saddest statement on this election was made by a fifth grader last week. They were lingering around in my room, and since I never lock up my purse I was shooing them out. I said for them to come on cause there was no money in the room. It was then that one of my little girls looked at me and with all seriousness said, "Don't worry Mrs. H, after Obama is president next week, he is going to share the wealth and then you will have money." I wanted to cry! I wanted to scream, I don't want someone else's money, I only want what I WORK for. Perhaps it comes from being put through college by a wealthy oil man. It was his money, I had no rights to it, he choose to help me get through school and in return I made good grades. I have the same ability to work and make money as he did. Again it is those crazy Oklahoma values that still determine who I am today!!

No comments: