Saturday, September 13, 2008

Where I'm From

I am not much of a poet, but I'm starting to appreciate the art of teaching poetry. Thanks in part to twowritingteachers. Anyway today I came upon this lesson plan for teaching family history with this poem. So I had to try my hand and want each of you to go over and give it a try.

Where I Am From

I am from wringer washing machines,
Grapette soda pop and peanuts.
I am from hard working folks.
I am from the memosia tree that stood beside our house,
with its feathery pink seeds that stood forever,
where we sat under in the hot Oklahoma evenings,
as we watched fireflies buzz round our heads.

I’m from family history that pre-dated statehood,
From drag racing, a truck driver, and a data entry clerk.
I am from tuna fish, potato salad, and real mayonnaise.
I am from teenage parents, sickness and pain,
Carl and Snickey.

I am from pecan pies and Sweet Garrett snuff,
from Alice and Harry,
I’m from roughnecks, fishermen, preachers, and teachers.
I’m from The Lord is my Shepard and
I ain’t a gonna do it.
I’m from Sunday School, Training Union, Camp Nunny Cha-ha and Falls Creek.

I’m from Vernice and Woodrow’s Branch,
from outdoor plumbing, taking baths in creeks, and homemade ice cream.
From rolling cigarettes, churning butter, milkin' cows,
and sleeping outside under the stars.

In my closet boxes of pictures are scattered all about,
pictures of family gatherings, of loved ones long gone
and the hope of future generations to come.
I am from those moments—
full of love and kindness-
that make me who I am today.

You've got to give this a try. I love it!!!!!

5 comments:

Monkey said...

You really did such an awesome job on that, that I'm scared to try!

Anonymous said...

Lovely! Funny how we both used Lyon's work!

cHim-prints said...

What a journey! Thanks for sharing.

Jane said...

Love this! Great work.
~jane

GirlGriot said...

This is lovely, Lennye! I love using Lyon's "Where I'm From" with my students. It always inspires such wonderful writing.