Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Today Something Happened

Today started out like any other day - Busy. I had planned to read this book:
I read it every year and it is one of my favorites. It has produced some good writing. Well today, I had gone to an IEP meeting and my student teacher read the book while I was out. When I got back I noticed one of my favorite little boys looked terrible. His eyes were swelling. I ask if he's okay and he says yes. I went about my business and started doing LEXIA again. Suddenly, he comes up and I'm thinking he's having some type of allergic reaction. (This is one of my favorite kiddos.) I quickly got out of LEXIA (MS will never look so smart again!) Then rushed him outside, I thought I was going to have to call the EMTs.


When we got outside I said KT what is wrong. He busted out crying, "My dog died yesterday!" (In the book Grandma dies.) He falls apart. My heart is breaking!!! He goes on a walk with Mrs. T and I go back in the room. When a little girl comes up to me and says, "You don't know about KT do you?"


"What is it?" I responded.


"Well, KT's mom has cancer. It's the really bad kind. And his daddy left them cause he didn't like them anymore. They are living in his grandparent's basement. You probably need to talk to HH's mom, she is trying to help them. "


WHOA! I thought I was going to loose it! My precious boy!! And the state of Georgia wants you to learn division, reading, writing, and everything else or your labeled a failure. When all you are trying to do is survive. And your dog dies!!!!!!!! Your crazy teacher not knowing any of this reads a sad book and you loose it.


I'm sorry little man. I want to heal all your wounds and love you forever and ever! We never know what a day may hold.

1 comment:

Monkey said...

Oh no....that is awful! If this is the same KT that Sarah and I love as well then it's especially pitiful because he's only the SWEETEST boy in 5th grade! Dog dies, cancer, basement....we should never complain about anything because nothing we have going on is that bad. Poor guy. I wish I was going to be at school tomorrow so I could hug him when he comes to Art.