Saturday, August 9, 2008

My Boy

Tuesday this boy is going away to college. It is hard to believe that 18 years have come and gone so fast. At 6'3 1/2" he towers over me, this boy who used to curl up beside me as I read The Adventures of Muffin Mouse for the millioneth time. Now is time for him to go make his own adventure!

Matt is the middle child. He was old enough to understand all the struggles we've been through as a family over the last five years. I wonder sometimes if he has learned from our hardships, however self inflicted they may have been. Drew was gone to college during that time, he has been unphased by the struggles. Matt on the other hand has watched. He wants to grow up, but yet he is afraid to leave us. Today I made a comment about how we might be better off financially if I had worked instead of staying home with them. He says, "But you might not have such well mannered boys." He's right. He assured me that money wasn't everything, telling me of friends who never see their parents.

So today Big Boy and me went shopping. We bought two more pair of shorts, a trashcan, a rug, and other things college boys need to leave home and start a new adventure. We've been very fortunate! So watch out world we are giving you one of our best!

(To get a feel for my mood tonight...check out the Suzy Bogguss song on the right.)

1 comment:

K2daK said...

I can't imagine how this must feel for you, I am praying for you. I am thinking about you. Imagine how you will feel in ten years when you look at your boys and see what a great job you did, that will make staying at home all those years well worth it. You can't replace a family, jobs are replaceable (did I spell that right?), the stuff your kids may or may not have had didn't do anything to them except make them appreciate what they do have even more, and they will realize that when they become adults. (I can say that because we were poor when I grew up and I am SO appreciative for what I did have and I look at what I have now and the decisions I make are based on those experiences). You make me really cherish my kids now, you make me live in the now and that is more than most people can give me. I am trying to absorb everything so I can look back later and remember the good and we too are cutting corners so the boys will be well served. You told me a year ago that I made the right decision to go part time because I can't get these years back. Going back to full time was easy because I know my boys are in a great place, #1 has an awesome journey ahead of him and #2 can say 2 words at 8 months correctly (he says dad when he sees Nick, he says bye-bye when he should) and today I swear he said dog. Having #2 at work with me is more than I could've ever imagined. Think back on those times you shared with your boys and then you will KNOW that there was no other way for you and your family.