Wednesday, May 14, 2008

You might be a failure as a mother if....

You have the following conversation with your 11 year old son:

Gabe: Oh Yeah, I've got a band concert Thursday at 7:00pm

Me: You are in band? Since when?

Gabe: All Year.

Me: Well what do you play?

Gabe: The snare drum.

Me: For real...

(Matt is in the background quickly calling all his friends to see if Gabe is really in band.)
(Dan walks in)

Me: Dan did you know Gabe was in band?

Dan to Gabe: Are you any good?

(Gabe goes into some sort of band/drumming talk.)
(Later that night while getting into bed.)

Me: Don't you have to sign a paper or something and say that your child can be in band?

Dan: I might have signed that paper.

Moral of the story to all teachers: It is very important that you know what your own children are doing. It doesn't matter that 26 others have literally sucked the blood right out of you...God gave you your own to keep up with, he obviously thought you could handle it.

Today, I had to pick Gabe up from the bus (I was late), this is usually Auntie Monkey's job! I learned all about a crazed lab partner who completely gutted the frog they were dissecting, I believe the term was "scraped her clean." (She was pregnant!) I called Dan and told him that for the next 4 years meeting the bus will be important work for me. Of course Auntie Monkey may still have to find those special days.

3 comments:

Monkey said...

That's how I learned Gabe was chosen for the spelling bee!

Sarah B. B. said...

Wow. Lindsey says he knew Gabe was in band - but I think he's kidding, since he's never met Gabe.
At least he told you about the concert?

K2daK said...

Not a failure not at all, a person who is still learning...God has a funny way of grabbing our attention! I know Gabe will look forward to those times, I still look fondly back on the days my dad drove me to school, even when he annoyed me on some mornings singing "I got HIGH HOPES, I got HIGH HOPES" (because my school was off High Hope Rd.) I can still hear him singing that and I still love the smell of his aftershave & smoke on my cheek because it reminds me of those times. Those times are just as special to him as they are to you.