Monday, February 4, 2008

Does Anyone Remember...

Does anyone remember when teaching was fun? I know some of you came of age as a teacher with NCLB, but there are those of us who can remember. Those long ago days when you weren't trying to accomplish individual interventions per child, but you had time to teach and reteach until they got it. You had no standards just an old-fashioned scope and sequence that those crazy textbook companies made. Gosh, that's how we were taught! And teachers spanked students when they misbehaved. Your parents would have never made an excuse for your disrespectful behavior. They would have taken the teachers' side. I miss those days.

Today, I had two interventions before we got started, the morning was spent with one of two missing actual teaching time. Then there was Beta Club meeting at 2:00-2:30. Interspersted with various interventions throughout the day. Gosh, I wonder why they can't read and write. Because we are bound by a state test that tells students either you do this today, no matter what is going on...our you are a failure. Oh yeah, if you can't pass the test we will blame your teacher. She only had 180 days and you in the class for about 3 hours out of the day, and she should know how to make you learn when your parents can't make you mind!

Okay, I'm off my soapbox for a day or two. The writing test is only 4 weeks away and we are out one of those weeks. Most students don't even know how to write a good sentence. Of course when you have those who still can't tell you what type of sentences exist it is a bit difficult.

Add to that I now need to tutor after school for free, and have continual parent conferences. (2 just today and then sat down to do progress reports.)

On a happy note I love the GIANTS!

2 comments:

Monkey said...

I remember getting a ruler on my hand in kindergarten...and getting a FOR REAL pop on the butt with a paddle in 8th grade for playing an April Fool's joke on my teacher...by taping everything down to his desk! You knew when you did something, that there would be consequences...so if you were going to do something that might get you in trouble, it sure needed to be worth it...the April Fool's joke was worth it, though I did cry after getting popped and having to walk back into the room.

K2daK said...

I remember when a teacher put duck tape across my mouth for talking during Heman & Sheera (I am sure I spelled that wrong) in Preschool. Yeah, she didn't have a job after that.

I hate that you aren't enjoying teaching as much anymore. It makes me sad. I know my kids knew the correct terms for sentences when they left my room, but what happens to their little heads after me is beyond me. I hope the writing test goes good!