Monday, June 25, 2007

Funerals, Friends, and Friendliness

I went to the funeral today. The chapel was packed. When I got there Robin was at the door, "Hurry," she says, "Jena is waiting to see you!" I rushed in and I am always amazed that no matter how long it has been since you've seen them, friends just fall back into the relationship. Jena was glad I came. Jamie her daughter Matt's age is BEAUTIFUL!!!! I'm so sad they didn't grow up together and get married!!!!

The funeral was short and sweet. Robin said that a funeral is not the time for a preacher to prove what an eloquent speaker he is. The minister talked of God's grace and that our lives can not be defined by a single moment. I understood the point he was making, yet our lives are defined by a moment--- the moment we decide to accept Jesus as our Savior or not. (Lennye's commentary is free of charge!) Yet, his point was well taken, Sally had done many kind and noble things in her life and we shouldn't judge her on that moment she took the life of her mother-in-law and then turned the gun on herself. I felt so sad for the family.

Afterwards Robin and I say in the chapel and talked. Jena came in and sat with us for about 10 minutes. I love the fact that while I am short on family, I am long on friends.

Then I stopped at Kroger for my favorite water and some lettuce. Since I was across the street from the Panera Bread Company, I stopped in for bread to go with supper. The girl behind the counter was so friendly. "I hope you enjoy your bread and have a wonderful night." I was surprised someone who appreciated the effort I was making to shop there.

Next, I couldn't leave Macon without a Starbucks Mocha Frappacino. So I pulled in and the girl says, "I know it is a hot day and I sure hope you enjoy your drink!" WHAT---all this friendliness on a Monday. You never get that here in Jackson, it is like you have bothered them by coming in, especially Ingles!

So seeing friends--even at a sad time--and friendly service can really help to make one's day.

2 comments:

Sarah B. B. said...

I hadn't put two & two together to figure out whose funerals these were - I think that's one of middle school teacher's mother-in-law, & also somehow related to gobs of people my mom knows from work, who are related to each other. That end of Bibb County is a pretty tight place. It's such a sad story - glad you could be there for your friend.

Lennye said...

Your right! Jeri had been a principal at Rutland. She has gotten her doctrate and she was trying to get princpal at one of the schools. Jena is currently teaching elementary PE, I didn't get where. I can't remember if 13 years ago she taught in elementary or middle school. You are right that end of Macon is very tight! That is were we lived for 3 years. Before there was a Kroger on Hartley Bridge!!!!!