Monday, August 7, 2023

Psalm 90:12

 A few weeks ago I saw a tic tok video where the man was talking about his parents aging. He lived across the country from them. He talked about coming to the realization that he would see them about 15 more times in his life. Sobering thought!

It was odd to come across the video, because Dan and I had recently discussed that we are at the winter of life. Somedays that thought hits me hard.
Now this came on the heels of Alistair Begg asking his church to pray for singer, Paul Simon. Begg was greatly influenced by music as a lad and often incorporates musical lyrics in his sermons.
Begg's sermon started me thinking about the music of my own life. Surely, it is filled with Bad Company, Eagles, Bonnie Raitt, Lynard Skynard, and the Allman Brothers band. This trip down memory lane had me contemplating my "days".
Which brings me to yesterday.
As I listened to ABB I came across Gregg's last recording which was released after his death. "My Only True Friend" is a haunting song of the end of life with such lines as:
"You and I both know this river will surely flow to an end..."
"Still on and on I run it feels like home is just around the bend
I got so much left to give
But I'm running out of time, my friend"
As I listened to the song on repeat yesterday, and I wondered if anyone ever shared with Gregg that this life isn't the end. I hope so.
Friend, as I'm "numbering my days", I'm in deep thought on the mark I'll make. Gregg's song says, "I hope you're haunted by the music of my soul...When I'm gone."
I want my song to be Jesus. I want to spend the next few years serving Him. I don't need travel, we wore the road out in our younger years. If God intends for me to teach, then I want to have the energy and physical strength to be the best. If God intends me to write on a larger scale then that's what I want to do.
In the words of Henry Martyn, "I want to burn out for God."
So Lord, teach me to number my days that I can gain wisdom, because I know that this life is not the end of the road - it is only the beginning.

No comments: