Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Day 30 - Growing Up

This last battle with strep throat has reminded me of growing up. Until I was six, we lived with Mymomma (my grandmother). So she took care of me while my parents would work. I can remember when I'd have a sore throat she would swab my throat. This involved something on the end of a stick, painted on the back of my throat...very unpleasant! We would also have a poultice boiling on the stove. This permeated through the air and was suppose to help me breath better. Finally, a doctor said I needed my tonsils out and my grandmother said, "NO". In our little world that was equivalent to a direct word from God, so I never had my tonsils out. Instead I started seeing old Doc Boyd.

Now to a young child I remember thinking he had to be 102 years old at least. Doc Boyd didn't see patients in an office, you went to his house. I remember the house had wood floors and a normal size living room/waiting room. Doc Boyd's office was in a room similar to a large walk-in pantry. Anyway, I remember going into the office and having him feel my swollen neck glands. Then he would take a bottle of sugar pills and start to make a potion that he would pour over the sugar pills. They came in a small bottle with a cork on the top. Now I have no idea what was in the potion, but it worked. As a child allergic to penicillian, Doc Boyd's potions got me well in record time; therefore, my tonsils were never removed.

This last few days I've thought a lot about Doc Boyd and his magic potion. We lived 10 miles from town and we drove into town for me to see him. I know we had to have passed by other "modern" doctors to get to him. However, the best thing is I know he made me well!!! I miss Doc Boyd, so I Googled him. I wanted to see if there were any historical records of him in Carter County, Oklahoma. Well I found a picture...


Wish I could find out what was in that potion, because I think I need to keep a bottle handy!!! Doc Boyd, I will forever be a faithful testimony to your healing potion!

3 comments:

Thinking Aloud said...

We had a doctor-Dr. Markowitz-like that too. He would fix you right up and then always have a lollypop handy to boot. My cousins hated going to him; they called his remedies snake oil. Snake oil or not, it got rid of the pain.

Tara said...

What an interesting story! My husband grew up in a small town in upstate New York, and had a Doc Kerns who sounds a lots like your doctor. He still remembers the big black bag the Doc would carry around on his house calls - a different, more personal, way of going about medicine. Here's to the old Docs - magicians both!

Alan j Wright said...

I really enjoyed this piece. You took me as your reader, back in time to a simpler world. The use of the word potion was powerful. Doctors were a bit like that when we were kids growing up. You have activated my medical memories with this slice.