Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Life

Today I just was off my game all day. I wasn't a happy camper. I knew it was bad, when F was all perky this morning and I was like bite the head off a bat. It was a funk that grew as the day progressed. When I got home and checked my emails I now know why Edie Wright died today.


Edie Wright was a precious older member of our church. I taught her youngest granddaughter in 4th and 5th grade. Edie was special. They found out Edie had cancer at the same time they were doing a biopsy on a place I had show up. We knew each other from church, but we met that day in hospital gowns waiting for another mamogram. Things didn't look well for Edie, the doctor was talking of a double masectomy. She sat there with her husband and I vividly remember the looks on there faces. They tried to be optimistic, but they had that look of dread and fear that mix together in only the way the word cancer can do. That was 5 years ago.

Since then Edie has fought a brave fight. The cancer kept coming back and she kept plugging along, determined to live. God had other plans today. Haley loved her grandmother dearly, it was her favorite place to be. She is in the 8th grade now. I know that it will be extremely hard on her.

I pass her house everyday on my way to work. Her house has looked lonely here lately. I know a lot of people don't know Edie, but I will always remember a bond that was formed between us one day in hospital gowns waiting for news.

1 comment:

Jane said...

I'm so sorry you lost your friend.
Your writing here is wonderful.