Monday, April 27, 2009

23 Days

Twenty three days that is all I have left with my precious class. (Stop that snickering.) Everyone knows that with the exception of some EBD children that press every button I have, this has been a dream class.

You know what I love about teaching...the discussions. We are doing our WWII unit and today they asked me how could people follow someone like Hitler? Did I think he asked God for forgiveness before he died? Why did people hate Jews? Why did they let him kill so many people? Couldn't they understand? It is at those moments that I am so small, I don't know all the answers to their questions. Other than we should never be so consumed with hate for anyone because of the color of their skin or their religious beliefs. But today that wasn't enough. They wanted to know more.

I long to tell them of Dietrich Bonhoffer, who stood firm against Hitler's take over of the church, was smuggled out of Germany to America, was safe but returned to stand as a light in the darkness only to be executed. About Corrie Ten Boom and others who hid Jews and helped them escape from Hitler. My administrator says we must not mention God; therefore, I can't show videos. How can you not?

I have tried to contact the Jewish History Museum in ATL, but haven't heard back a response. They have a list of Holocaust survivors who will travel in the Metro area to do school programs. I'm hoping maybe 45 miles is doable. They also have a PLU for one week this summer. Cost is high, but what a joy to learn more of this important part of history. I tell my students we learn history so we won't repeat history. I hope they learn.

Twenty-three days, not very long to impart all I think they need to know before they spread their wings and fly away.

No comments: