Sunday, March 29, 2009

Victory in Jesus

Do you have a song that moves your soul? The first note brings back a flood of memories that take you on a journey of the past. Well "Victory In Jesus" does that to me, so this morning when the first note was hit on the piano the waterworks began! That's right in the choir, with a church full of people, I went into the ugly cry. Finally, I just gave over to it and cried.

You see I have history with this song. First, the song writer (Eugene "Gene" Bartlett) has history with my family. The song was written as a camp song when they first built Falls Creek (a Southern Baptist Camp), my family was one of those first families that worked to build the camp. My Great Aunt went to church with his family until he died. I am the Great-Granddaughter of one of the first Southern Baptist Ministers in Indian Territory, who knew Gene Barlett well. That song was played at every happy church memory I have, and every funeral in our family. I've been at Falls Creek when Andre Crouch directed a 5,000 member choir singing the song. I KNOW this song, I don't need a hymnal. It is my song!

The first chords hit the piano and suddenly I am a small girl in Oklahoma in a feed sack dress and white patent leather shoes. I am at Rose Hill Cemetary and watching my life change drastically. I am transported to the what ifs of life... all in three notes (kid you not). I am that little girl who listened to the Great-aunts tell fishing stories and the story of the last time they talked to Mr. Bartlett. My aunt had asked him to sing the song one more time. He looked at her and said, "I'm afraid the next time I sing the song will be in Glory." So of course in my mind the man sings that song anytime anyone I knows hits the Pearly Gates!

That brings us to today. Kenny's mom died last night. I had been trying hard not to think of another child years ago who watched a mother die and has lived a very full life without her. About that same child who turned away from God with my heart broken, because He didn't heal my mother. I had prayed all the way to church that God would not let that happen to Kenny.

So it was the ugly cry. I cried for me. I cried for Kenny. I cried for all the what ifs. And I cried knowing one day they would sing this song at a memorial service for me.

I know there are many people who wonder why that song (which is sung at our church in an upbeat Southern Gospel Song) makes me cry. And perhaps the oddest thing is no one has ever asked. Today when Freda and I went to get stuff to take over to Kenny's house, I asked her why she didn't warn me that was on the agenda. She forgot. I understand, no one could possibly know how that song affects me, not even Dan. (I'm sure he wanted to crawl under the pew!)

So if you don't know the hymn here it is.

I heard an old, old story,
How a Savior came from glory,
How He gave His life on CalvaryTo save a wretch like me;
I heard about His groaning,
Of His precious blood's atoning,
Then I repented of my sins
And won the victory.

Chorus
O victory in Jesus,
My Savior, forever.
He sought me and bought me
With His redeeming blood;
He loved me ere I knew Him
And all my love is due Him,
He plunged me to victory,
Beneath the cleansing flood.

I heard about His healing,
Of His cleansing pow'r revealing.
How He made the lame to walk again
And caused the blind to see;
And then I cried,
"Dear Jesus,Come and heal my broken spirit,"
And somehow Jesus came and bro't
To me the victory.

Chorus

I heard about a mansion
He has built for me in glory
And I heard about the streets of gold
Beyond the crystal sea;
About the angels singing,
And the old redemption story,
And some sweet day I'll sing up there
The song of victory.

Repeat the Chorus

4 comments:

Kelly Sandborn said...

Beautiful post...prayers for you and Kenny's family.

Letterpress said...

I loved this post, and how vividly you give the history of you and this song. I have a couple of hymns like that and yes, it can be waterworks time when they play as well.

I have no idea who Kenny is, but he seems to echo your own personal story. I can only hope that someday, he'll find the peace of mind that you have, and perhaps he'll have a favorite hymn to mark his place in life as well.

Elizabeth
http://peninkpaper.blogspot.com/

Tracey said...

I loved your third paragraph, but, to me, the "ugly cry" image hammered home the power of this piece.

Jane said...

Oh Lennye, I loved reading about how this song has come to mean so much to you.
Praying for you and Kenny.
Jane