Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Oh Me! Oh My!

It is hard here on the 27th day of January to not think about the 4th day of March. I know you would think that I'd be thinking about the 3rd day of March (our 25th anniversary), but no I'm thinking about that stupid writing test. I think people should clear my plate and let me teach writing every day for 7 hours a day till then!!!! There is just so much to do before the big day.

Last night I read Ruby Bridges book, Through My Eyes. At the end of the book she discusses her feelings about 1960 in New Orleans and comments that she just obeyed her parents because that's what she was suppose to do. Sounds so simple. Her parents told her to go to school, so she went to school. I wish that the kids I teach could see how profound that statement is. They aren't made to oey at home, so why would school be any different. They are busy telling the adults what they are going to do and each year it gets harder to teach, because they know everything and put forth very little effort.

It is interesting that the mark for me as a teacher is raised every year; however, no one has noticed that the chief stakeholders in this game of education don't care. Today I sounded like Mrs. Riddle, "Sit up, put your feet on the floor, and look like you mean business." They were draped over desk, draped in their chairs, and some had the idea to put their feet in the tray of the brand new desk!

I tried to video myself teaching today and it is probably laughable! You can be teaching away and they look at you and go, "Got cough drops?" Like they couldn't wait till a more appropriate moment to ask. (The video is only 20 minutes).

F was gone today and she had a great sub! I liked her a lot. She has taught before and laughed when I told her I had to turn off the video because the principal came in and wanted something!

No comments: