Saturday, October 18, 2008

Wouldn't you know!

I don't run into many people who are allergic to penicillian. (Lucky for them) So when I got the Strep Throat, the magic drug was not an option. So they put me on Baxitin (from the mycin family), now my sweet mother was allergic to mycins and usually I take something from the sulfa family. Unfortunately, for me sulpha medicines do not work against strep. So in true L fashion, after three doses of the Baxitin I had the most severe side effect you can imagine. I haven't slept all night, because of it feeling like someone was ripping my stomach and liver out of my body every few seconds. I started itching and having pains shoot through my head and my face is extremely red. At 4:00am I thought of the emergency room. Lasted to 9am and went into doctor's office. "Yes, Mrs. Hestad this is a terrible reaction to the Baxitin."

So now I am starting a "Z-pack" and have medicine to ease the pain of the side effects which could linger for several more days. My throat is actually getting worse instead of better at this point. And for our further information they haven't seen any strain of illness this season that is responding as should to medication. What is usually knocked out in 5 to 7 days is now taking 10 to 14 days. Which explains Matt's croopy cough.

Have I mentioned I love teaching!

1 comment:

Jill said...

Oh - I feel for you. I am allergic to most antibiotics. In May I had ear infection in both ears and was given Levaquin (which I thought I could take) and had the exact same reactions as you. I haven't had strep in many years (hope I haven't jinxed myself) and who knows what I would do. Hope the z-pak works. Feel better soon!